Horizontal Directional Drilling
Price to be provided upon request
Dates to be agreed with the customer
Instructor(-s): Kirill Bogachev
About the course
Modern technologies and drilling experience allow to drill horizontal wells with up to 15000m measured depth (world record 2017, Sakhalin-1 project).
Horizontal directional drilling allows to boost production and increase recovery factor, moreover it is the key technology to develop remote parts of offshore oil and gas fields from single platform and to develop offshore fields from shore.
Horizontal wells require a unique design and execution approach compare to standard wells. For successful horizontal wells a compromise between costs, technical limits and reliability of surface and downhole equipment should be achieved. Proper execution of the drilling program is crucial for horizontal drilling project performance to eliminate problems like negative drilling string or casing weight because of high friction factors. Adequate hole conditioning (i.e. hole cleaning, dog leg control, etc.) is essential for running casing, as well as new techniques (floated casing, non-rotating drill pipe protectors, rollers, etc.). Standard logging methods and coil-tubing are not applicable for long horizontal wells, well tractor nowadays is an option for long horizontal wells interventions.
Extending the horizontal reach, a margin of an error becomes smaller and smaller while cost, risks and difficulties increase exponentially.
The course is designed for drilling and completion managers and engineers, field supervisors from service and operating companies. Also, the course will be beneficial for geologists, geoscientists, and reservoir engineers for expanding drilling knowledge.
- Purpose of horizontal wells; particularities and potential difficulties while drilling and designing horizontal wells.
- Productivity of horizontal wells. Anisotropy of the reservoirs. Drilling through the reservoir, drilling fluid selection to minimize formation damage and skin factor.
- Geomechanics for designing and drilling of horizontal wells, borehole stability. Swab and Surge.
- Torque and drag calculations. Drilling string failure modes (buckling, vibrations).
- Directional drilling, mathematical methods of well trajectory calculation. Wells anti-collision.
- Drilling bottom hole assembly (BHAs) used for horizontal wells, rotary steerable systems (RSS).
- Effective hole cleaning, drilling fluid selection. Equivalent circulation density (ECD). Tripping practices for horizontal wells.
- Casing running, running floated casing. Cementing horizontal wells.
- Well control while drilling and completing horizontal wells.
- Surface equipment, top drive (TDS), casing running systems.
- Completion of horizontal wells: smart wells, inflow control devices (ICD), sand-control.
- Logging of horizontal wells, well tractor.
- Drilling horizontal wells offshore: offshore logistics and drilling waste disposal.